Trace PTO Meeting Minutes
Tuesday September 13, 2016
Location: Multi-Purpose Room
Attendance: Heather Bilich, Lorraine Cho, Maria Carter-Giannini, Sonia Lee, Jeanette Marin, Vanessa Pinedo, Matt Quarneri, Kirsten Read, Pia Rieppo, Randi Rosen, Lindsay Telucci, Joanne Warburton, Michelle Quarneri, Steffany Carrabino, Diane Romero, Catherine Sam-Long, Marie Vidal, Carol Robledo, Bavharita Hernandez, Wendy Escobar, Sunny Dani, Tommy Jimenez, Luis Rodriguez, Gloria Mendoza, Garbirl Ramirez, Celenia Cruz, Armando Catalan, Jacqueline Talamantes, Rufina Talamantes, Lenia Melendez, Ana Diaz, Amanda Nelson, Rebecca Howarth, Christina Papoulias, Amara Brook, Rachel Mino, Emma Rawnsley, Lauren Naylor, Sabrina, Santolalla, Amy Glanzman, Patricia Proctor, Damaris Scheichl, Guadalupe Galindo, Madali Espana, Barbara Hernandez, Adrienne Hall, Debora Avalos, Carolina Lopez, Flor Barriga, Shari Martiniez
Called to Order: 7:13pm Heather Bilich / Lindsay Telucci, co-PTO Presidents
Welcome & Introductions Heather / Lindsay
Calendar Maria Carter-Giannini Secretary
- Key Events for 2016:
- Walk-a-thon Friday Oct 14th
- Fall Festival Saturday Oct 15th
- See’s Candy Drive Nov 9th-28th
- Panda Express Fundraiser Nov 23rd
- The Parent Teacher Organization is a non-profit organization run by volunteers. It is the school’s major fundraising organization. We fill the gaps that the schools’ budget cannot meet and support community efforts for an enriched school experience. We raise funds throughout the year to support and fund four main areas:
– Educational programs
– Performing arts programs
– Teacher/staff support
– Trace community building
These include funds to help cover classroom supply costs, field trips, fitness coaches, educational programs like the Science Fair, Performing arts equipment and instruments along with community events like Kindergarten Ice Cream socials, Parent breakfasts & Teacher appreciation luncheon. The voice of our membership is crucial in expressing what should happen at Trace.
Fall Festival Lorraine Cho VP of Seasonal Fundraising
- Date: October 14th
- Activities include a Haunted Walk, photo booth, pumpkin patch, poster project for students and much more. Kinder students will perform on stage with Ms. Warburton.
- 5th grade parents will be taking care of all the food this year.
- Volunteers are needed desperately for this event to be successful.
Update from Principal Rodriguez
- Principal Rodriguez would like to involve more parents on the school site. K3 is being converted into a parent room. Volunteers are needed to fix it up. Let the secretary know if you are interested.
- Solar panels are being added to Trace. She wants to share the plan with our community. Please attend Principal’s Coffee to get more information. We know it will be a new structure but it will high enough to not interfere with students. Some plants will need to be removed.
- There will be updates on Measure H, Title I at Principal’s Coffee as well.
Treasurer Update: Pia Rieppo/Randi Rosen
- Last Year’s Budget
- Fundraising – Ongoing, Seasonal Events, Other seasonal activities (ex: See’s candy drive)
- We exceeded our goals last year and raised over $100,000. Our net gain was $67,081
- Spend – Academic & community events, field trips, teacher gifts, school programs, PTO operating expense. There are still some outstanding invoices yet to come in but we made about $22,000 last year due in large part to the Walk-a-thon.
- Proposed 2016 – 2017 Budget
- Our budget plan is similar this year but we have two added challenges – the amount for the Recess Coach & the Chess Club have increased. We can fund the Recess Coach this year as is but it’s not sustainable for the future.
- Field trip allocation is slightly reduced from $2,000 to $1,825 per grade.
- We need help from our community to make this year a success especially after these increases.
Announcements / Opens:
- Glanzman will be at the Luna Chalk Festival on Saturday Sept 17th if anyone would like to attend and participate. There are 2 spots for Trace.
- The Drama and Music programs are looking for help with taking tickets and other duties. If anyone is interested in helping please contact Joanne Warburton.
- Selac Meetings are once a month on Tuesdays at 8:45am. Principal Rodriguez is hoping for more participation
- 5th Grade will be in need of volunteers to help with the food at Fall Festival.
Date: October 11th, 2016
Location: Multi Purpose Room
Meeting Adjourned, 8:33pm
Minutes compiled by Maria Carter-Giannini, PTO Secretary